Thursday, October 25, 2007

Post One

My friend Jenny found the review I wrote on Amazon of As You Like It and told me I should start a blog -- something I've been thinking about for a while. So here's a start. I'm not sure how much time and effort I want to put into this, especially since I'm planning on blogging more about (obviously) what I read and watch than my personal life.

The blog name refers not only to my political tendencies but to my rather expansive reading tastes. Trips to the library are usually performed on the way to the gym, to get something to read on the elliptical, and are either exceedingly brief and efficient or exceedingly tedious.
Last night's trip resulted in a biography of Laurence Olivier, A Thousand Splendid Suns (yes, I read Kite Runner, yes, I enjoyed it, yes, I think it'll make a politically volatile movie), a book by Elizabeth Berg the title of which escapes me at the moment, and a collection of E. T. A. Hoffman short stories, which I grabbed because I walked past them and I like the Offenbach opera Les Contes d'Hoffman.

So far, the Olivier bio is pretty good, though since I'm more interested in his work, I'm skimming over an awful lot of Vivien Leigh.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Yay! Welcome! I've been meaning to write you an email for literally eons, and I will, soon, but for now, wanted to say that I enjoyed the opening posts here, and that all and sundry should also check out Heidi's weekly tennis blog:

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/the_deuce_club/index.html

Good stuff!