Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The thin line between love and hate

There are a few movies I'm looking forward to in 2008, but I've already started debating one of them in particular.

Should I go see Valkyrie?

If you don't remember, Valkyrie is the Tom Cruise flick about the German officer who tried to assassinate Hitler, and there was some reported flack about it being filmed in Germany because of Cruise's advocacy of Scientology. Germany does not acknowledge Scientology as a religion; they view it as a money-making cult. The flack was about the script, or Cruise, or... I don't even know. According to Branagh, it was nothing in particular.

Ah. You see, therein lies the dilemma. Kenneth Branagh is in this film, in what word has it is a particularly meaty supporting role. Do I love him enough to outweigh my vague distaste for Tom Cruise? (I could care less about Katie Holmes, but it's a combo of viewer fatigue and never having enjoyed any of his films all that much.) The array of accents is going to be annoying, too, though nothing tops the awfulness of DiCaprio, Malkovich, Depardieu, and Irons in Man in the Iron Mask.

You can take a look at the trailer and weigh in on this sometime in the next nine months.

No comments: