Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Deception preview

So little time, but I just had to say something about the upcoming film Deception, which will be released here while I'm in Poland. I don't know what was with the studios on this one; it didn't get a finalized title until a month or two ago, which is a problem for buzz. And then they chose this? As one snarky blogger put it, "Was Generic Sex Thriller already taken?" The original title was The List, which seems perfectly fine to me. Basically, an accountant is introduced by a more sophisticated colleague into an exclusive sex club but then finds himself suspected of murder. Twists and mayhem doubtless ensue, since there are at least three in the trailer.

It looks like a completely formulaic load of Hollywood...formulae, but the cast is pulling me towards this film slowly and inevitably. Hugh Jackman and Ewan McGregor in the same film? You could overload on the musical theater goodness (not that either of them sings in this, I think). Two of my favorite big stars. And Michelle Williams, who I think was just so perfect in Brokeback Mountain. If you're going to see a generic sex thriller, might as well see a well-acted one.

No comments: