Monday, January 12, 2009

The Ghost of Jennifer Aniston

I read The Senator's Wife by Sue Miller -- lest you think I've only been watching movies lately. Unfortunately, I had heard rumors that it was going to be made into a film with Jennifer Aniston (very old rumors; I think they might have been also rumors about Brad Pitt costarring as her husband, so you can guess how old they were). So I couldn't get the visual out of my head the whole time.

Interesting meditation on marriage: love, sex, fidelity, expectation, the daily grind, set in an academic town in the nineties. A young couple move in next to a senator's wife (where's the senator?) and the two marriages go through some rough times in tandem for a couple of years. I hate giving away plot, so it's hard to critique that openly for you, but it's a reasonably good read. Personally, I'd have liked more about the political side, but there are reasons that it's not a big part of the wife's life.

Lovely descriptive writing, and fairly good entry into the head of the younger woman (the Aniston character); a lot of almost stream of consciousness interiority that is specific enough to be interesting, but not so overwritten as to be totally unbelievable (you know the type that follows a clear trajectory that nobody's musings take). Certainly a good, slightly lighter read, though nothing earth-shattering.

No comments: