Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Begrudging applause

As you all know, I have been missing my late-night TV; in grad school, I got in the habit of taking my laptop to the futon with me and doing some light work while watching late-night.

After a hiatus, in which I watched movies or simply stayed at my desk, I went back to the futon and discovered that NBC has taken the inspired route of airing reruns of Leno -- oh, but not recent reruns. They've gone so far back into the vault that it's like watching a bemusing time capsule. Last night, Julia Roberts was on... to promote Pelican Brief. Jay's hair was gray and he was asking her all about Lyle Lovett, who she had just married.

I have to admit that they're fascinating to watch to see how fast our pop-cultural framework changes, something that always trips me up with my students. This is the Harry Potter generation. Just think, in a few short years we're going to be teaching students who grew up obsessed with Hannah Montana.

4 comments:

tinatin2 said...

We live during interesting time when it is possible to communicate with all world, you you are independent in what country are, what religion проповедуешь, how old are you. In virtual space it has no value. Certainly not all so is ideal, as it it would be desirable. In fact you actually do not know, who sits on that party(side) of a computer. It would be desirable to wish, that it is that person for whom it(he) gives out itself(himself). The world without borders as it is fine. In fact here it is possible to build any attitudes(relations). I dream, that my international business with corporation Intvej reached worldwide. I dream to communicate with the partners where they would not be. I since the childhood dreamed to travel. This opportunity to me was given by corporation, and you my dear potential partners can help with realization of this children's dream. All world will be at our legs(foots), it is necessary to want. I invite all interested persons in this fascinating travel where everyone cares of the blessing of another Where the command(team) is under construction not simply, and a command(team) of adherents, a command(team) of millionaires, a command(team) not simply dreamers, and people which purposefully go to the purpose.
I wait for you. I of all of you love.Join now://http://tinatin2.intway.com

Ben said...

You know you've made it when you start getting these comments on your blog. Congrats! And be afraid, be very afraid.

Heidi said...

Yeah -- what the heck is that? Some very odd kind of spam?

Ben said...

Let's hope so--otherwise one of the World's Creepiest People (that's a new show on Fox) is now stalking you. Spam sounds good, though.