Monday, January 26, 2009

The worst movie ever

For some reason, I've been having an old Hollywood film fest lately, and I got around to a film I've always been curious about, The Prince and the Showgirl starring Marilyn Monroe and Laurence Olivier. The juxtaposition was just too much for my curiosity.

Sadly. It is one of the worst films I have ever seen (seen being a flexible verb, as I ended up working while watching), though Marilyn is undoubtedly lovely, and drooling over her is probably the only reason to watch. Olivier is hidden behind a vaguely Hungarian accent and an impossibly stiff manner, not to mention hideously bad writing and plotting. It's not impossible to write a romantic comedy along these lines that still has charm: he, a tradition-bound aristocrat or aristocratic rogue; she, an artless American girl... but oh my lord, this wasn't it.

No comments: