Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Quick follow-ups

1) Oscars. Long. Mostly boring. Short acceptance speeches, thankfully. The few little surprises along the way didn't add up to any huge surprise a la Crash, but the biggest of the little was definitely Tilda Swinton. I assume that it was a tight race and she slipped through between Ruby Dee and Cate Blanchett.

Interminable clip shows, but what I minded most were the dreadfully bland musical numbers. That was some fairly lackluster choreography and costuming.

2) Raisin in the Sun was very good (I didn't quite catch all of it), though I wish that the camerawork had been a tad more creative. I know, confined space, TV movie budget. Wonderful cast. I'd like to see Sean Combs do more in the future with his vocal inflection, but his timing and emotion are definitely in place. I look forward to seeing what he does next. And yes, to the hilariously enraged John Stamos fan who posted below and all others out there, he was very good indeed. There are many ways to play that little role, but I liked the idea of making him oily and quietly offensive rather than a pompous old man.

The best for me was Audra MacDonald, whose intensity and suppressed rage and hurt just can't be beat, even when it's channeled through the soapy Private Practice.

No comments: